The arrival of autumn brings a whole host of wonderful moments, from the changing colours of the leaves to brisk morning walks and trying your best to find the ultimate conker to enjoying a warming meal with the whole family. With this in mind we’ve brought together some simple and easy autumnal recipes that everyone can enjoy this year.
Butternut squash soup with chilli
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Cut the squash into large 4cm cubes, then mix with oil in a large roasting pan. Place in oven and roast for 25/30 mins, turn half way, until golden and soft.
- Melt the butter with remaining oil in a large saucepan, add the onions, garlic and most of the chilli. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 20 mins until the onions are completely soft.
- Tip the squash into the pan, add the stock and the crème fraîche, then whizz with a stick blender until smooth. Return to the pan, gently reheat, then add salt & pepper.
- Serve the soup in bowls with swirls of crème fraîche and a scattering of the remaining chopped chilli.
Wild Mushroom Tartlet
- Roll the pastry out on a floured surface and cut out 4 rectangles, roughly 10cm wide.
- Leave to chill for 20mins on a lined baking tray in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Heat a large frying pan, then add butter and fry the mushrooms for 5-7mins until all liquid leaves the pan. Season, then take off the heat and mix mushrooms with the Parmesan, parsley and garlic.
- Lay the mushrooms in a line on the central area of the puff pastry. Brush the edge with beaten egg, then bake the tarts for 20 mins until puffed up and golden. Serve immediately.
Roast chicken & pea risotto
- Heat oil in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 5-7 mins. Keep on the heat and stir in the rice, until it starts to look transparent. Pour in the wine and keep stirring until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in the stock and simmer until the rice is almost cooked. Stir tin the chicken, thyme and peas, then return to a high heat to serve. Take off the heat and mix in crème fraîche and Parmesan.